Skip to main content

Sarah & Juan (Extra)

Every time when I watch videos on youtube, the gum Extra commercial comes on first. The commercial starts with the music, Can’t Help Falling in Love from Haley Reinhart. I thought this was the preview of a romance movie, but it actually was a commercial for gum. It starts with the girl and the guy making eye contact in front of the school building. When the girl accidently drops her papers in front of her locker, he helps her with a bashful smile. As the girl gives the gum Extra to the guy, their love begins. Throughout their relationship, the gum remained with them. They overcame hardships together by giving each other the gum Extra. Throughout the commercial, the guy drew cute pictures of them on the gum wrappers. At the end, he proposed by showing her all the pictures on the gum wrappers. Their love succeeded and it seemed like a cute romance movie with the gum Extra.
The company created this type of advertisement to make the viewers desire true love by buying their gum. They clearly used pathos in the commercial and it also could be ‘Irrelevant Goals or Functions.’ The advertisement kept showing that their relationship developed with the gum Extra. Logically, the gum was not the cause of falling in love at first sight. They fell in love and they overcame difficulties by their love, not by their gum. Even though people know that the gum would not bring them true love, this commercial is still effective. Because a lot of girls admire true love, they would be attracted to this commercial. At least, it was effective to me because the commercial was a cute love story. Overall, it was a good commercial to appeal to one’s emotions.

Comments

  1. This is really a good commercial, your writing is so clear and influential to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how so many people fail to realize correlation does not equal causation. It is definitely an effective way to use the false cause analogy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally like this commercial and I like how you describe this commercial

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I like to chew gums but I do not like the commercial you describe, you did a good job on descirbing it. It is funny that the company tried to use pathos to make people buy their stuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a good job describing the commercial, and you did a good job explaining how this commercial used pathos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of girls love this commercial because it depicts true love very well. I agree that gum won't bring you true love, but this commercial is still effective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked how you put in your opinion on the fact that the commercial is distracting the customer from the real purpose of the gum and how it can lead you to believe something abou the gum that is untrue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This commercial is my absolute favorite advertisement. Truthfully, I cried the first time I watched it. I admit to being completely blinded by how the commercial made me feel, instead of realizing that gum in no way dictates one's love life. I did not feel an urge to go out and buy Extra gum after watching this, but I did gain a more positive view on the company for producing such a well depicted story. Though I can now see how my emotions were entirely irrational, the manipulation through pathos definitely got to me through this ad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The commercial didn't really make connection for the product. I won't really be convinced by the commercial.

    Soo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weight of Glory

In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...

Stephen Curry (Brita)

I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V.  Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same."  In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink."  He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater."  With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance.  This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities.  It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it.  I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....

Marilyn Monroe's Shampoo

While browsing on Google I found an old advertisement.  The ad was for Lustre-Crème Shampoo. It featured Marilyn Monroe, known for her beauteous looks and her parts in different movies. One of her movies was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Lustre-Crème was attempting to sell their shampoo through the use of fallacies. By saying that Marilyn Monroe that tells you nothing about the actual product: it simply attracts you to the pretty face in the picture. Using this as an argument of why someone should buy your product is quite illogical. Just because Marilyn Monroe uses it doesn’t provide assurance of its abilities. They attempt using snob appeal by trying to make the audience believe that they could be like Marilyn Monroe if they use the same product as her. They use appeal to illegitimate authority by using Marilyn Monroe to promote their product. Although she herself is a customer, this is still rather irrelevant. She herself has no type of expertise in hair products and knows nothing t...