Skip to main content

Geico 'Too Tall' Jones

I was watching TV and I saw a Geico commercial, where a guy dressed in a suit, looking fancy asks, “Could switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance? Is Ed ‘Too Tall’ Jones, too tall?” It then shows Ed Jones at the doctor’s office. The nurse was trying to measure him, but she could not, because when she tried to measure him, the stick did not extend any longer. The commercial ends with the normal, “Geico. Fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more.”

I can see rhetoric in this commercial. The man in the beginning is dressed in a suit for a reason. A man looks must more trustworthy when wearing a suit and looks professional. This is part of “ethos”. This man is establishing trust between him and us, the viewers. He also makes a reference to Ed Jones. Ed Jones was a famous NFL football player, who played for fifteen years for the Dallas Cowboys and also attempted professional boxing. The man in the commercial is mentioning the famous football player, because he is well known. He is seeking commonality between him and the viewers. A lot of people know of Ed Jones, and by referencing him, he is using another part of ethos.
This is also a fallacy. It is an appeal to illegitimate authority. Geico is using a famous football player to represent part of their commercial. Ed Jones is not qualified to give information out about insurance, making him an illegitimate authority.

I think that this argument was not persuasive, at least for me because I am not interested in insurance, at least for now. I do think that the commercial did a good job of wanting to keep the audience’s attention, because of the way it starts out and finishes with Ed Jones. So it could be persuasive for someone looking for car insurance that likes Ed Jones.

Comments

  1. I have noticed that lots of commercials use men in suits to get you to trust them. I’ve mostly seen this done in credit card commercials and traveling agencies. I think that this happens because you assume that they must be good with their own money, so they would good with yours too. Suits are expensive and require money, which means that he was able to make the money and the first and that he was able to save it long enough to buy the suit. Seeing him looking well groomed and in a suit leads you to believe that he is most likely very successful and it is his success and put-together look that could lead you to trust him.

    Selena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you that the appeal to football does nothing for me, as I don't really care for sports... However, I do love a well dressed man. (; I think I agree with you about how the commercial is ineffective for young people like us who are not interested in insurance though.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Men in suits look great. But it does seem like they have more credibility, same thing with tall people in the case of "To Tall" Jones, because he is tall and freakishly tall he is different and should be looked up to. (No pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think this commercial is effective either because I am not interested in Ed Jones or car insurance. All it made me think about is that I want to be taller.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weight of Glory

In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...

Stephen Curry (Brita)

I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V.  Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same."  In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink."  He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater."  With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance.  This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities.  It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it.  I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....

Marilyn Monroe's Shampoo

While browsing on Google I found an old advertisement.  The ad was for Lustre-Crème Shampoo. It featured Marilyn Monroe, known for her beauteous looks and her parts in different movies. One of her movies was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Lustre-Crème was attempting to sell their shampoo through the use of fallacies. By saying that Marilyn Monroe that tells you nothing about the actual product: it simply attracts you to the pretty face in the picture. Using this as an argument of why someone should buy your product is quite illogical. Just because Marilyn Monroe uses it doesn’t provide assurance of its abilities. They attempt using snob appeal by trying to make the audience believe that they could be like Marilyn Monroe if they use the same product as her. They use appeal to illegitimate authority by using Marilyn Monroe to promote their product. Although she herself is a customer, this is still rather irrelevant. She herself has no type of expertise in hair products and knows nothing t...