Skip to main content

I Hate Steven Singer

Have you seen this? Anyone travelling through the Philadelphia area has seen this billboard. It simply states, “I hate Steven Singer!” This expression of seemingly unprovoked hatred for a random man appears to be the object of an angered citizen. However, it does get the attention of the individual who saw it. Because the individual saw it, she will Google it on her handy dandy smartphone. There, she will click on the link to the story that sparks this creative ruse of a billboard. She will find that the quote, “I hate Steven Singer!” is actually the utterance of a customer who bought an engagement ring for his fiancé and later another ring to commemorate their twentieth anniversary, resulting in a baby shortly later. He then stated these four words and inspired this phenomenon, all due to the amazing skill of the advertisement team at Steven Singer Jewelers.

Though it is kind of a far stretch, this advertisement wanted to draw attention to Steven Singer
Jewelers and attempt to get people to buy jewelry. The ad wanted people to look up the saying and become familiar with their jewelry store. This billboard does not make sense logically. However, most advertisements do neglect logic but still achieve their goal despite that fact. Though it is not directly related, this ad is quite effective because it grabs the viewer’s attention and stays at the forefront of the brain until understood. It obviously worked because I looked it up and learned this much information. I did what it wanted. I hope this debunked some myths about these signs and informed you about the effectiveness logic-lacking advertising.

Comments

  1. Very informative, Kay. I always wondered what the story was behind those signs but I never did look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative, Kay. I always wondered what the story was behind those signs but I never did look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always assumed that Steven Singer was a famous person and never really thought to look it up. It’s a nice try at getting attention for their company though.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen it before but I would have thought it was a malicious comment of a anti-fan of a famous singer who is eager and rich enough to put a sign up on a road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I had no idea that was for jewelry. Sadly though, you are probably right this illogical advisement is probably more efficient then a logical one. That is very interesting, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weight of Glory

In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...

Stephen Curry (Brita)

I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V.  Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same."  In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink."  He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater."  With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance.  This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities.  It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it.  I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....

Wiener Stampede

In this Heinz condiments commercial, aired during the Super Bowl this past year, a group of dachshunds are shown in hot dog costumes running towards humans in Heinz ketchup and mustard costumes who end up catching the dogs as they leap into the humans’ arms and lick their faces. This commercial is a specific appeal to pathos as the dogs are dressed up and are meant to be cute. The phrase at the end of the commercial is “it’s hard to resist great taste” and this is stated while the dogs are licking the humans implying that the dogs like Heinz and that humans should buy it as well because the cute dogs in costumes did.