Skip to main content

The Tongue

Today during chapel, Jeremiah gave a speech was trying to persuade us that we should know our tongue is extremely important because it represents our heart.

He used the verses in James 3:6 to convince us what he had said. The speaker was also trying to persuade us to learn to control our tongue, to say something which will encourage someone but not frustrate someone. He said that our tongue is a tool can be used either good way or bad way, it all depends on how we are gonna use it. What we said is from our heart, so try hard to control our tongue, don't hurt people. In this part of the speech, he used Luke 6:45 in the Bible which says: for the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. Then he called a volunteer for his speech to go the the stage and gave that volunteer a water bottle with water in it but no lid. If someone shakes the water bottle and something comes out of the water bottle, it must be water. Then he said that the water in the water battle represents what we think in our heart, if our tongue cannot control what's gonna come out of our mouth, then what we said could hurt people.

I can see a lot of rhetoric is using in his speech. First, he used a lot of Ethos because he quotes the verses in the Bible, that did help understanding what he was trying to say, and makes his speech became more credible, too. Second, he kind of used Pathos,too. Because he said something about how we should not say whatever and that will hurt people really bad. Maybe we cannot even imagine. The last thing is there are metaphor in his speech. He compare our tongue to a gun and our heart to the water in the water bottle.

It actually helps me a lot about how to say something appropriate in a relationship. In Proverbs 29:11 says that a fool utters all his mind". So next time, when I get frustrated about something, I will pick the sentence which makes the other person more comfortable to hear about.

Comments

  1. I can understand this clearly because I heard this too. You pointed out better than what I thought of it. This is clear and I agree with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that speech which he gave it to us , but I almost forgot everything.I was thinking about his speech during chaple , and I still have impression about his point by using Rhetoric to make more sense.That topic was close to us.Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you pointed out the ethos that Jeremiah used as a good thing. When it comes to looking for rhetoric used, a lot of times we only look for the fallacies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that he had a great chapel time, his speech is logical and open, we understand God more in his words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weight of Glory

In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...

Stephen Curry (Brita)

I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V.  Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same."  In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink."  He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater."  With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance.  This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities.  It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it.  I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....

Marilyn Monroe's Shampoo

While browsing on Google I found an old advertisement.  The ad was for Lustre-Crème Shampoo. It featured Marilyn Monroe, known for her beauteous looks and her parts in different movies. One of her movies was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Lustre-Crème was attempting to sell their shampoo through the use of fallacies. By saying that Marilyn Monroe that tells you nothing about the actual product: it simply attracts you to the pretty face in the picture. Using this as an argument of why someone should buy your product is quite illogical. Just because Marilyn Monroe uses it doesn’t provide assurance of its abilities. They attempt using snob appeal by trying to make the audience believe that they could be like Marilyn Monroe if they use the same product as her. They use appeal to illegitimate authority by using Marilyn Monroe to promote their product. Although she herself is a customer, this is still rather irrelevant. She herself has no type of expertise in hair products and knows nothing t...