Skip to main content

The Paradox of Finding Motivation through Fear

This blog theme of this quarter is about news broadcast or articles, so I looked through lots of articles in newspapers and magazines. Finally I found an article I like in New York Times. I was attracted by this article's name, it called "The Paradox of Finding Motivation, Through Fear." And then I read this seems like a funny article, the author used some ethos, pathos and logos in it.

The author was thinking about a question that his friend asked:“How do you stay so motivated and so excited about things."Because at first he told his friend a new book he is working on, a article he is writing and a hobby of adventure motorcycling in the desert. He had not considered that 'why'. Then he realized that the one aspect of these projects had to make him so motivated-the common thread -was the feeling of being in just a little over my head." Then he starts to persuade his opinion.

I think his argument was reasonable. He used a concept called hormesis. Then uses the National Institutes of Health to explain it. Here he used Ethos. Next is logos, he gave us an example, it's well documented that the way to grow muscle is to rip the muscle tissue, and then give time to regrow. This is a good example for helping readers to understand his main point.

I think I agree with him. First he used some evidences from reliable sources, and many examples or common sense in our real life. Second I personally feel the same way as he said. I always want to try something new because it makes me staying motivated about life.

Comments

  1. The blog post could have been written better in the fact that it doesn't really explain what the article was fully about. However it does show the use of the means of persuasion but not in a specific manor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weight of Glory

In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...

Stephen Curry (Brita)

I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V.  Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same."  In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink."  He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater."  With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance.  This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities.  It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it.  I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....

Marilyn Monroe's Shampoo

While browsing on Google I found an old advertisement.  The ad was for Lustre-Crème Shampoo. It featured Marilyn Monroe, known for her beauteous looks and her parts in different movies. One of her movies was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Lustre-Crème was attempting to sell their shampoo through the use of fallacies. By saying that Marilyn Monroe that tells you nothing about the actual product: it simply attracts you to the pretty face in the picture. Using this as an argument of why someone should buy your product is quite illogical. Just because Marilyn Monroe uses it doesn’t provide assurance of its abilities. They attempt using snob appeal by trying to make the audience believe that they could be like Marilyn Monroe if they use the same product as her. They use appeal to illegitimate authority by using Marilyn Monroe to promote their product. Although she herself is a customer, this is still rather irrelevant. She herself has no type of expertise in hair products and knows nothing t...