Skip to main content

Riley: Motivated by God

Just this past Monday in chapel, a man named Ty Fischer, came to speak at the school, and as he walked up he said, rather awkwardly, “Well…I see it says ‘Ty Fischer’ up there, and…that’s my name, so I guess it’s my turn to speak.” This was a rather awkward kickoff to an equally awkward presentation I was not particularly moved by. I understand that this could have been at least a mildly amusing joke to break the ice and establish ethos with us, the audience, but it was poorly executed, and ended up working against him. He continued on as normal, but he seemed very disorganized, cobbling together a bunch of common Bible messages that you hear frequently, then trying to make it more relatable to students by tying it in to homework, saying that we should be more motivated knowing what God has done for us.

After he had finished, I found myself more baffled as to what his intended meaning was than contemplative of what he had said. I found his lack of organization distracting, and his failure to establish ethos initially made it hard to take into account what he was saying as I struggled to find reason to to care. He remained very still throughout his talk, using little to no gestures, or even inflection, nor did he use any kind of visual aid either. None of this helped me as I tried to track with him, and I ultimately left without a clue towards his meaning. For any who thought his message was helpful to them personally, I respect that, but as for myself, I struggled to take anything significant away from it.

Comments

  1. Using the quote at the beginning of this post was a great way to start your post, not to mention that it reminded me of the speaker you were referring, Ty Fischer. His lack of ethos really did make it difficult to take what he was saying seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weight of Glory

In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...

Stephen Curry (Brita)

I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V.  Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same."  In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink."  He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater."  With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance.  This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities.  It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it.  I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....

Marilyn Monroe's Shampoo

While browsing on Google I found an old advertisement.  The ad was for Lustre-Crème Shampoo. It featured Marilyn Monroe, known for her beauteous looks and her parts in different movies. One of her movies was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Lustre-Crème was attempting to sell their shampoo through the use of fallacies. By saying that Marilyn Monroe that tells you nothing about the actual product: it simply attracts you to the pretty face in the picture. Using this as an argument of why someone should buy your product is quite illogical. Just because Marilyn Monroe uses it doesn’t provide assurance of its abilities. They attempt using snob appeal by trying to make the audience believe that they could be like Marilyn Monroe if they use the same product as her. They use appeal to illegitimate authority by using Marilyn Monroe to promote their product. Although she herself is a customer, this is still rather irrelevant. She herself has no type of expertise in hair products and knows nothing t...