Skip to main content

Why You Should Talk to Strangers

Last night, i watched on youtube a very unusual video for me. I watched a Ted talk, called “Why you should talk to strangers,” by Kio Stark. She talked about how in many western societies, we are told from a very young age, that strangers are people to avoid. That strangers can hurt us, and are just non desirables, in a sense. But her argument was that talking to strangers, can actually have a very different effect than we think it does, or should. She attempted to persuade her listeners to realize that talking to strangers, can make you feel understood, in a different way than a friend or even family member can. She talked about how just starting a fleeting conversation with a random person on your street, can make you feel accepted as a person, and feel like someone understands you. She pointed out that even though you only talk to strangers for usually a few minutes, those few minutes can feel very pleasing, and important.

Her argument seemed very reasonable, since she shared personal stories of when she talked to stranger in New York, and that stranger made her feel noticed. I also noticed that it seemed reasonable through personal experience as well. Even though i am very introverted towards strangers, the very few times i have simply smiled at a stranger or maybe told a light joke, it felt very rewarding to just join that person's life story for just a moment. Her argument did not seem totally effective in the video, mainly because the crowd seemed kinda dead, but to me it seemed to make sense, and it challenged me to maybe talk to strangers in my life a little bit more.

Comments

  1. Her argument was something I never really thought, but she did not seem to base a whole lot of her argument around rhetoric. It is something to chew on though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is rather introverted, I find this extremely interesting. In social situations where I am surrounded by strangers I tend to feel quite uncomfortable. The thought that actually striking up a conversation would make the situation feel more comfortable is something I never thought about before, but it seems to make sense. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting because, like Jake said, I was always told to stay away from strangers. I understand how talking to one or having them talk to you can make you feel noticed and important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally. I am kind of good at talking to strangers. But It does make you feel so great. I know that great feelings! Good job jake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This speech is very challenging for many. As you mentioned, people are taught to avoid contact with people we don't know because they may be untrustworthy. I could still see the value in engaging with others. This could teach people effective social skills and how to face something that may be scary to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good video. I think that talking to strangers could be very effective and beneficial. It could also give a sense of community. I think talking to strangers is something I would like to do more often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always good to listen to an argument and evaluate it ourselves, even if the delivery falls a bit short. Over the past few years, I've become far less timid around strangers, whether it's striking up a conversation while waiting in line for something, or just a passing smile. Almost every time I walk away feeling better than before, and so do the people I talk to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weight of Glory

In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...

Stephen Curry (Brita)

I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V.  Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same."  In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink."  He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater."  With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance.  This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities.  It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it.  I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....

Marilyn Monroe's Shampoo

While browsing on Google I found an old advertisement.  The ad was for Lustre-Crème Shampoo. It featured Marilyn Monroe, known for her beauteous looks and her parts in different movies. One of her movies was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Lustre-Crème was attempting to sell their shampoo through the use of fallacies. By saying that Marilyn Monroe that tells you nothing about the actual product: it simply attracts you to the pretty face in the picture. Using this as an argument of why someone should buy your product is quite illogical. Just because Marilyn Monroe uses it doesn’t provide assurance of its abilities. They attempt using snob appeal by trying to make the audience believe that they could be like Marilyn Monroe if they use the same product as her. They use appeal to illegitimate authority by using Marilyn Monroe to promote their product. Although she herself is a customer, this is still rather irrelevant. She herself has no type of expertise in hair products and knows nothing t...