Skip to main content

Colgate


I saw a Hong Kong advertisement about  Colgate . It talked about how a doctor made a lab with a group of children, and used 3D animation to demonstrate, so it proved the toothpaste can clean very dirty things on your tooth. At the end, they say they did the research in Hong Kong and most dentists as suggest you use Colgate. So, I think it is uses Ethos.

They used the data, pictures and 3D animation to try to let people believe their toothpastes can clean your tooth very well, and make people want to buy their products.

Be honest, if what they showed in advertisement is true, I think it was reasonable. Because, they use a lot of evidence to support their opinion and looks professional. They did lab work and research. It's very convincing .

Actually, after watching this advertisement, I would love to buy Colgate, but I won't do that. Because while I think Colgate maybe a good toothpaste, it is an expensive kind of toothpaste, I don't want it  to cost much money to buy toothpaste. So, maybe if their advertisement says the toothpastes  is on sale at the same time, I might will buy it.

Comments

  1. Dean,

    This is a good analysis of the commercial that you saw. You're right that it uses ethos to get you to buy their product. I also agree with you that I'd wait until the toothpaste was on sale--that's smart shopping!

    Mrs. Overbey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how they used children in their study because children are less likely to lie than adults. Also how they used a visual example so people can understand. Good analysis and I like how you looked at all the variables of the product before making a decision just based on the commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would get Colgate next time. This commercial contains 3d animation and research. And it makes me to trust this commercial. Also,I like how you analysis

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a convincing commercial, but i think they should sale their tooth brushes with the toothpastes. What if someone got Colgate tooth paste but he doesn't have a good tooth brush, it still won't be work the best. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. We talked same topic , you mentioned a lab for children , that is a good point , because nowadays parents care their kids more than themself, so that is a strong point to persuade people

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a perfect blog that you gave a great commercial to prove your ideas, the good point is the lab for children's teeth, that is using rhetoric to let parents buy for their children.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weight of Glory

In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...

Stephen Curry (Brita)

I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V.  Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same."  In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink."  He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater."  With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance.  This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities.  It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it.  I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....

Marilyn Monroe's Shampoo

While browsing on Google I found an old advertisement.  The ad was for Lustre-Crème Shampoo. It featured Marilyn Monroe, known for her beauteous looks and her parts in different movies. One of her movies was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Lustre-Crème was attempting to sell their shampoo through the use of fallacies. By saying that Marilyn Monroe that tells you nothing about the actual product: it simply attracts you to the pretty face in the picture. Using this as an argument of why someone should buy your product is quite illogical. Just because Marilyn Monroe uses it doesn’t provide assurance of its abilities. They attempt using snob appeal by trying to make the audience believe that they could be like Marilyn Monroe if they use the same product as her. They use appeal to illegitimate authority by using Marilyn Monroe to promote their product. Although she herself is a customer, this is still rather irrelevant. She herself has no type of expertise in hair products and knows nothing t...