Today, while I was watching T.V., I saw a commercial for Febreze fabric refreshers and air fresheners. The commercial started out with a man and his dog sitting in the his “man cave”. The announcer started talking about how the man had gotten used to the bad odor in the room, but when the man got up and left the room, the chair that he was sitting in turned into a giant hamburger. The announcer said that the giant hamburger is what the wife believed the room smelled like. He then discussed how Febreze can eliminate these odors in the “hard to wash fabrics”, such as furniture and pillows. After he sprayed the room with Febreze the wife walked in and thought the room smelled good. The announcer then tells us to use Febreze fabric refresher to eliminate the bad odors in our house.
In this commercial the advertisers are using pathos and ethos. In using the humor of turning the chair into a hamburger, the advertisers do not seem like know-it-alls and can be viewed as normal people. Also, by using a “normal” couple, they use a credible source that “normal people” can relate to.
The examples and references they used made sense and were relatable to everyday life. The viewer can most likely relate this situation to their own life. By giving examples that everyone can relate to, it will be more effective than using random statistics. My family does use Febreze, so I would say that these commercials are pretty effective and reasonable.
I agree with you, since they used a normal couple it was easy to relate to. If they took a different approach i do not think it would of worked as well as it does. You structured your points very well, good job.
When I see these kinds of commercials, I can definitely relate. They use humor with the hamburger and sometimes that is how I feel my brothers make my house smell. I would definitely go buy febreze right now if we did not have some already.
Well done identifying the modes of persuasion. The concept of the relatable 'man cave' is a bit hard to identify as ethos so well done on that specifically.
In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...
I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V. Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same." In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink." He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater." With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance. This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities. It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it. I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....
While browsing on Google I found an old advertisement. The ad was for Lustre-Crème Shampoo. It featured Marilyn Monroe, known for her beauteous looks and her parts in different movies. One of her movies was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Lustre-Crème was attempting to sell their shampoo through the use of fallacies. By saying that Marilyn Monroe that tells you nothing about the actual product: it simply attracts you to the pretty face in the picture. Using this as an argument of why someone should buy your product is quite illogical. Just because Marilyn Monroe uses it doesn’t provide assurance of its abilities. They attempt using snob appeal by trying to make the audience believe that they could be like Marilyn Monroe if they use the same product as her. They use appeal to illegitimate authority by using Marilyn Monroe to promote their product. Although she herself is a customer, this is still rather irrelevant. She herself has no type of expertise in hair products and knows nothing t...
You explained this commercial very clearly, it's a reasonable article. And related to your family. By the way, I hope I can have a man cave.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, since they used a normal couple it was easy to relate to. If they took a different approach i do not think it would of worked as well as it does. You structured your points very well, good job.
ReplyDeleteWhen I see these kinds of commercials, I can definitely relate. They use humor with the hamburger and sometimes that is how I feel my brothers make my house smell. I would definitely go buy febreze right now if we did not have some already.
ReplyDeleteWell done identifying the modes of persuasion. The concept of the relatable 'man cave' is a bit hard to identify as ethos so well done on that specifically.
ReplyDelete