Skip to main content

HeForShe Campaign


I watched a speech about feminism. Emma Watson, British actor and UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, co-hosted a special event for UN Women’s HeForShe campaign. The HeForShe campaign is a solidarity movement for gender equality which calls upon men and boys to help end the persisting inequalities faced by women and girls globally. Emma is saying ‘I am reaching out to you because we need your help.’ This sentence makes people curious about the speech. She said ‘We just don’t want to talk about it. We want to try and make sure that is tangible.’ When I heard that sentence, I felt there is a problem that has to be changed.

Feminism is one of the most important issues today. In this speech video, I think men can easily think that Emma is trying to be on the side of women. According to Wikipedia, Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, personal, and social rights for women “Right for women”. If I have a chance to have a speech about this topic, I would say gender equality or sexual equality rather than feminism because in the definition of feminism, it says “rights for women” it is not what she meant. The speech does not advocate feminism or say women are greater than men. However, Emma is saying ‘It is not the word that is important. It’s the idea and the ambition behind it because all women don’t have women’s rights’. I kind of agree with that. A lot of women are suffering today. For example, especially, In Arab countries, women don’t have equal rights. They think men are the best. Emma uses some of her experiences to convince the audience. Also, I can see Emma is using pathos in this speech. It helps people to feel and think more about this problem.

Comments

  1. This sounds complicated, but you did great job anaylizing the speech. You included details and I can understand easiler. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feminism is a widely debated and controversial topic in today's society, so you did a good job differentiating between what society could interpret her speech to be establishing and what the speaker is in actuality trying to establish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree that women should have more rights after I read this blog, this speech explained well with rhetoric ways. good job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weight of Glory

In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...

Stephen Curry (Brita)

I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V.  Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same."  In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink."  He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater."  With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance.  This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities.  It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it.  I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....

Marilyn Monroe's Shampoo

While browsing on Google I found an old advertisement.  The ad was for Lustre-Crème Shampoo. It featured Marilyn Monroe, known for her beauteous looks and her parts in different movies. One of her movies was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Lustre-Crème was attempting to sell their shampoo through the use of fallacies. By saying that Marilyn Monroe that tells you nothing about the actual product: it simply attracts you to the pretty face in the picture. Using this as an argument of why someone should buy your product is quite illogical. Just because Marilyn Monroe uses it doesn’t provide assurance of its abilities. They attempt using snob appeal by trying to make the audience believe that they could be like Marilyn Monroe if they use the same product as her. They use appeal to illegitimate authority by using Marilyn Monroe to promote their product. Although she herself is a customer, this is still rather irrelevant. She herself has no type of expertise in hair products and knows nothing t...