Skip to main content

Arts and Craftsy Tony Romo

Lately on television, I have been seeing many new DIRECTV commercials. I see them while watching football. This particular commercial is like a series of the same commercials, each with their own popular NFL quarterback. (The NFL is the National Football League.) In the commercial I chose, Tony Romo, of the Dallas Cowboys, is the star.

This commercial and ones like it are trying to get the viewer to by DIRECTV. This particular commercial targets fans of the NFL. It says that if you buy DIRECTV, you can get ‘NFL Sunday Ticket’. NFL Sunday Ticket is a program in which you can watch every single game, live from start to finish. They advertise this because those with basic cable can only watch certain football games, according to their location.

This commercial, like it’s ‘sister’ commercials, uses pathos. Each one compares the NFL quarterback in his normal state to the NFL quarterback in a disguise. In this one, Tony Romo, a DIRECTV user is compared to an ‘arts and craftsy Tony Romo’, a cable user. Tony Romo is made out to be totally normal and cool, whereas ‘arts and craftsy Tony Romo is made out to be weird and socially awkward. It makes the viewer of the commercial want to be more normal and more like the amazing quarterback, Tony Romo, rather than the ‘arts and craftsy’ Tony Romo. It also, in a way makes you feel left out for not being able to see your favorite teams play because you’re ‘weird’ and have cable.

This commercial uses logos when comparing cable to DIRECTV. It says completely logical and true things when comparing the two. When they start to categorize cable users into ‘arts and craftsy’ people, that is when the logic starts to go out the window.

I think their rhetorical technique is effective. I have cable and it makes me very sad when I cannot watch my favorite team play just because their game is not aired in my area. This commercial makes me want DIRECTV and I would buy it, but that is not up to me, but to my parents.

These commercials are hilarious. Although, some people could find them offensive. I know as a cable user, I am in no way ‘arts and craftsy’, nor would I ever want to be like that, so it definitely is offensive in a way. But for the most part, I am more focused on the facts of the commercial and the desires I have to watch my favorite team play every week. This Tony Romo/DIRECTV commercial is one of many. There are even more hilarious ones with quarterback stars such as: Andrew Luck, Eli Manning, and Peyton Manning. I suggest that everyone watch them because they will definitely bring a smile to your face!

Comments

  1. Abby wrote clear points in organized structure. It was easy for me to imagine commercial and find what kinds of rhetoric they used. I mostly agree with her and this commercial would be effective in this country. This would not be effective in other countries because people are usually not interested in football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You structured this very clearly. It was easy to follow and you effectively stated how it targets specific audiences and how it uses logos. I totally agree with everything you said. Good job!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you, it makes me want cable. You did a good job of stating you points, and organizing them. I also do not find them offensive, but they defiantly do bring a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you organized all of your points and all of them were very clear. You gave great demonstration of logos and pathos, as well as, made good observation of what the commercial was trying to say.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weight of Glory

In Mr. Cline's class a few weeks ago. We took the day off in a way from our normal classes. Instead of continuing to read the books we were assigned and discussing them, he read us the sermon by C.S Lewis "The Weight of Glory." Its a long sermon, but one worth reading. It is about the confusion many people have on the topic of what we desire the most. He explains after much background information, that we all desire true happiness. And through that happiness, we long for heaven, our true home that we were designed for. He explains that glory is not what many people think of as being "famous" in heaven. But more that we are honored by our Lord and Father. For it to be like the scripture passage "Well done, good and faithful servant." C.S Lewis does a fantastic job at being persuasive here, and if read by the right person aloud, can have an excellent effect. He clears up lots of points that people bring up that are not true. Such as the point of glory...

Stephen Curry (Brita)

I saw this commercial for Brita water on YouTube and on T.V.  Stephen Curry, a professional basketball player that plays for the Golden State Warriors, endorses and promotes the product by saying "not all water is the same."  In this advertisement he makes Brita water seem better than the other leading brands of water by saying "You are what you drink."  He also says "some water can dribble, drain threes, or even drain a buzzer beater."  With these claims, he is implying that drinking the Brita water it could make you better at basketball and help you become better and as good as him. Brita uses a celebrity to sell it by implying that it could improve your basketball performance.  This advertisement is false because water is not going to change your skills and abilities.  It tries to persuade you to buy it because a professional basketball player drinks it.  I feel as though it may persuade some people to buy it because of Stephen Curry endorsing it....

Marilyn Monroe's Shampoo

While browsing on Google I found an old advertisement.  The ad was for Lustre-Crème Shampoo. It featured Marilyn Monroe, known for her beauteous looks and her parts in different movies. One of her movies was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Lustre-Crème was attempting to sell their shampoo through the use of fallacies. By saying that Marilyn Monroe that tells you nothing about the actual product: it simply attracts you to the pretty face in the picture. Using this as an argument of why someone should buy your product is quite illogical. Just because Marilyn Monroe uses it doesn’t provide assurance of its abilities. They attempt using snob appeal by trying to make the audience believe that they could be like Marilyn Monroe if they use the same product as her. They use appeal to illegitimate authority by using Marilyn Monroe to promote their product. Although she herself is a customer, this is still rather irrelevant. She herself has no type of expertise in hair products and knows nothing t...